Tuesday 14 June 2022

MAYBE I SHOULDN'T HAVE TOLD HER!




 I confided with Priye about my past - told her about who and what I used to do and she broke up with me. Although she argued that that was not the sole reason for the breakup but I am so sure it was. Or what else could it be? This happened less than a month after I told her everything about my past. I had told her some before we started the relationship and then I told her the remaining and she decided she no longer wanted to be with me.

Priye and I had been friends for a bit and we had become really comfortable with each other. I was ready to take the step that would lead to spending the rest of my life with someone I really loved. We told each other that we would be honest with each other about our past and our plans for the future and we did. She had a past but maybe not as terrible as mine but I overlooked that because what mattered to me was who is she is at the moment and not what she used to be. I'm not saying everyone should adopt that approach to life but when you see someone who has made significant progress in life despite their past, I think they should be cherished regardless.

I really loved Priye, I really did and I can't believe I'm describing how I felt (still feel) with past tense because I was sure that our relationship was going to work out. Maybe I made a mistake? Maybe I shouldn't have told her about my past? Or maybe I should have told her some and kept some others (the really terrible ones) to myself. Anyway, I think I've learnt my lesson now. Nothing of such would happen in the next relationship I get into and maybe that would even be the last. I really hope it will.

Guys what's our take or idea on disclosure? Are there somethings that should be disclosed while others are kept to ourselves? And if we are to give full disclosure, when should this occur? Just a few days to our wedding ? When we are neck deep in the relationship  or just at the beginning of rhe relationship? Or is there any need disclosing things about our past at all?

Please we'll appreciate your thoughts on this. Kindly drop your comments in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by and we appreciate you. God bless you. 

OneLove,

SomzyBrown


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this very relatable story. I personally think that one of the tests of real love is when one's partner still CHOOSES to love and commit to one after hearing some 'not so pleasant things' about one's past life experiences directly from one. I believe that it takes a lot of courage and trust in the other party for someone to reveal such things to their beloved partner. The guy didn't make a mistake for disclosing his past. It shows that the lady just likes the appearance of what the guy looks like now and won't stop judging him in her mind if they were to get married. A true love will take the guy's past as his past and focus on how they xan both grow together and get better. After all, God first loved and still loves us despite we having being sinners in the past. Real love sees partner for who God made them to be and not who they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this robust and factual comment. Please permit me to add this to the continuation of this. This actually makes a lot of sense and I am glad that you took out time to drop this here.

      Delete