Tuesday 24 March 2020

HE LED ME ON 2



Our friendship continued even after he graduated from the University. He made a first class and was the best graduating student of his set. After he graduated, he got into the Nigerian Law School, after which he had to undergo the mandatory National Youth Service. Being employed in one of the best law firms in Nigeria was not surprising as he is very intelligent.  He worked for some months before he travelled to London for his Masters degree.

I knew his trip to London for Masters would lead to a separation and distance between us for at least 9 months but I was hopeful. In the beginning of the distance, I did not really feel his absence because he called every night on whatsapp video call. Even when he changed his number to a UK one, he called to ensure that I had his new number and to avoid communication gap. 

I figured out later that his dad is very wealthy and influential and this discovery made me realise why he could afford to have a car as a student in the University (which was not common) and also travel to London for his Masters degree. I was consoled in the fact that if things worked out between us, he would be the guy who would help me come out from the chains of poverty that I had wallowed in all these years. I was hopeful!

We kept communicating and on one of such days, I asked about his marriage plans. He informed me that he had the intention to get married immediately after his masters programme. By my calculation, I would be close  to the end of my youth service at the same time and I would also be ready to get married. I was happy as this calculation was in line with his. My dreams of finally settling down with a successful man who would support my career as well was gradually coming to reality.

We continued our communication every night until few months to the end of his Masters program. During this period, he stopped calling frequently and the chats reduced drastically. I called several times but his phone rang unanswered. I also sent series of messages which he left unreplied. Whenever he decided to pick my call or reply my messages, he would apologise but the next minute, we were back to him not picking and not replying.

My instincts told me something was wrong but I couldn’t place it until I was told he had returned to Nigeria. I tried making up or at least finding out what the problem was but to no avail. I kept getting rejections and being ignored until that fateful day when my friend called me to break the news to me - He was getting married to someone else.

I became the laughing stock of the town. "How did you think that he would get married to you?" Some asked me. Truly, we were not in the same social class and even though I had struggled to get a better life for myself than I had before, I still wasn’t good enough for him. I cried, but as I cried I couldn’t help but ask some silly rhetorical questions: If he knew from the beginning that I wasn’t good enough for him, why did he come in the first place? Why was he so nice to me? Why did he come so close? Why did he take special interest in my affairs? Why did he become my friend? Why did he keep admiring my shape and making me feel special? Why did he do all that he did? Why? Why? Why? 

Unfortunately, it seems that even as I write this story, I would never get any answer to these questions. I had been broken and my innocent heart was shattered. I slumped into depression, developed low self-esteem and inferiority complex and I swore never to love again. My name is Cindy and this was my first attempt at love, marriage and relationship.

Chidinma Grace Nwokocha 

Thanks for stopping by and we hope to see you soon by God's grace. Please stay safe and may God keep us all, amen.

OneLove, 

SomzyBrown.



No comments:

Post a Comment