Tuesday 20 March 2018

CAN I EVER LOVE OR BE LOVED??? 3

download today

One Tuesday afternoon, uncle Chinedu picked us up from school and brought us home. This was not strange because mum called on him whenever she was unable to pick us up from school. We were very excited that he was going to stay with us until mum got back because this meant that we were going to get a lot of goodies. Although getting goodies was a norm to many of my friends, the story was quite different for my younger sisters and I. Whenever we asked mum about why she never got us chocolates, icecream, cakes she gave the excuse that she did not want us to have bad teeth. Anyway this was uncle Chinedu's opportunity to spoil us and trust me, he used it really well.

Mum not being at home was not strange and not bad as she had taught me to do a lot of things like cook; take care of my sisters and take care of the house. Although at that time, it was a hard task and the most annoying thing to do, it is something I am very grateful for now because many of the things I can do today is as a result of what I learnt during my young age.

So I had been waiting for the right time to ask uncle Chinedu about why he was not married. "This day feels like a good day to ask him" I thought to myself. It was a good opportunity to ask uncle Chinedu a lot of questions without being told "shut up! You are too forward". Mum never liked us asking older people private questions because she said we could be judged as being rude. Whenever she was around us, we behaved ourselves but the moment she was far from us, we were back to asking questions as they came to our minds.

Uncle Chinedu so I have been meaning to ask you - why aren't you married? "Why are you asking such a question, what do you know about marriage?" He said with a grin of his face. "I just want to know, there's no particular reason" "Well maybe because I haven't found the right woman yet" he said. I was still trying to understand what he meant by that when suddenly I felt a person's hand come over my neck. I was quite scared as I did not remember anyone coming into the house during our conversation. This person's hand went from my neck to my face and it just felt awkward. I turned and discovered that it was uncle Chinedu (of course it was). I did not know what to say because firstly, I did not understand why he decided to do that. No one had touched me like that before and I was going to shout at him when I remembered  all the sacrifices he had made for my mum, my sisters and I.

A lot of things kept running through my mind and I just could not understand what Uncle Chinedu was thinking when he came up to touch my neck and face. "Was it as a result of the question I asked or what exactly could this be about?" I asked myself. This was not the first time he was staying with us alone at home but this was the first time this was happening. "Why are you looking afraid? I was just playing with you. I won't hurt you". He said to me. These words were the most annoying words that I had heard in my life. How could someone I respected and trusted touch me in such manner and tell me not to be scared.

I thought of how to tell my mum that we did not want him in our house anymore but she was going to ask me for the reason and I really did not want to talk about it. I also thought I was taking it too far. "Maybe in all sincerity he was only playing with me" I told myself.

Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you next week. Stay tuned! 

OneLove
SomzyBrown

No comments:

Post a Comment