Tuesday 25 January 2022

WHEN COMMUNICATION GOES WRONG...




Paul and Tessy are in a serious relationship.What do we mean by serious relationship? Well my definition of a serious relationship is that the two people involved are thinking, talking and making plans to get married. So they've gone past the stage of getting to know each other or deciding whether this relationship is for them or not. They are sure that they want to do this (get married) and plans are in order to achieve this. However Paul seems to have a little issue with Tessy.

"Tessy is a lovely person but sometimes I find it hard to believe that she's the same person when we have an issue or disagreement. Her tone changes and she sounds like she's about to eat me up for something that might be her fault. She's always willing and quick to address issues but then the way she talks when addressing these issue scares me to death..."

I read something today and I totally concur. Many times we talk about the importance of communication but we forget that that's not all that matters. The manner of communication is also very important. Some people like Paul's girlfriend are communicators (I.e. always willing to talk whenever there's an issue) but they lack proper manner of communication (the way they go about talking or addressing these issues).

You might be wondering what we mean by manner of communication and I'll give an illustration. There's a difference between "You hurt me really bad. It's not the first time it's happening and I'm not happy about it " and "You're such an annoying person. You enjoy hurting me everytime. Only irritating people do such and you'll never change". These two statements mean almost the same thing but the manner in which they are said, are different. 

The way something is said can ! be given a perfect or wrong interpretation. And so while communication in a relationship or marriage is highly important, we all need to learn how to communicate properly.

I pray that we all will make conscious efforts not just to be quick at communicating but to communicate in the right manner and with the right tone/approach.

Thank you so much for stopping by, God bless you and see you soon. 

OneLove,

SomzyBrown.

No comments:

Post a Comment