Tuesday 28 September 2021

HOW THE JOURNEY TO FOREVER BEGAN.



"You are welcome" her father said to me as I walked into the house and I responded saying thank you. I had learned a few Igbo words so I used some of them as I responded to their greetings and questions. I was asked loads of questions and I believed I did well but guess what? And the end of it all, they said they were not going to give me a feedback yet. In their words "we have to meet with the elders and then decide." I was more than ready to get married to Sandra but her parents were making it difficult. Why should it be so difficult because we are from different ethnic groups?

At this point, I was so frustrated and furious that I couldn't say a word to Sandra or her parents. Although I got to Sandra's village with my hopes high (I mean after serious prayer and fasting), I left the village so sad and heartbroken that I couldn't say a word to Sandra or anyone. My mum kept calling all through my journey back but I couldn't pick up because I wasn't sure of what to say. 

I got home and decided to stay away from Sandra for a bit because I didn't want to take out my disappointment and frustration on her but this was quite difficult. I loved her so much that it was hard to stay away from her. She tried to encourage me to give them time but I wasn't having any of it. I had tried my best and I was beginning to agree with my friends. Indeed, there are other ladies and maybe I should really just move on with the hope that I'll find someone else. While all these were going through my mind, Sandra said "If you really love me and want us to spend our lives together till old age, please bear with me and my parents. I have tried talking to them and it's very tiring but please be patient..."

This was hard. I really loved Sandra and I was willing to wait for her parents approval but I was just tired at the amount of time it was taking. Despite the thoughts and temptation to give up, I made up my mind to wait.

Few weeks later, I got a call from Sandra's mum giving me the good news. I was more than excited to hear that the 'Elders' had decided in my favour. We were so excited and we began to make plans and preparation for marriage and in less than 6 months, I got married to the woman of my dreams. The wait was long but in the end, it paid off and we were both full of joy.


Thanks a lot for staying through with me on this. I hope that you've learned one or two things from my story.


Anonymous

Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you soon. God bless you.

OneLove,

SomzyBrown

No comments:

Post a Comment